Thread: iron deficiency
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

*raising hand*

I do I do...I am currently under treatment for iron deficiency. Happy to tell you everything I have learned from this experience.

Mine is from heavy bleeding due to my periods although they did all the gastro tests (colonoscopy etc) to rule out GI bleeding. I guess the heavy periods are coming from that lovely perimenopause. I am guessing when I reach menopause my iron will get better on its own but for now it needs help.

I also have an absorption problem. I think iron is supposed to be a large molecule and not easily absorbed. And as we age we all absorb less nutrients. So no matter how much iron enriched food I was eating I was not absorping enough of it naturally.

I had some classic symptoms...pale, easily fatigued, racing heart upon exertion and frontal headaches, plus cold. And restless leg syndrome.

My ferritin was 23 which was borderline. Basically over time I had blown through my stores and whatever iron was going in was bascially supporting me and going out with my periods.

My endocrinologist said she wants my ferritin levels in the 50 to 60 level.

They also did the following tests with the ferritin tests.

Total iron
Iron binding capacity
% saturation
You really need the above tests in conjunction with your ferritin level otherwise you are only looking at one piece of the pie. You may have low stores but how you use iron and your saturation could be fine.

Another test that is specific to iron deficieny anemia is

Transferrin

And you should also have them test your folate and B12 because they can also show a type of anemia is too low.

So, for a while no matter what I did my ferritin was 23-25 but my saturation levels were very very low like 10%. For the most part I had blown through my stores and my continued periods led to low saturation levels which meant my blood was not carrying enough oxygen.

I tried the over the counter iron supplements but the gastro distress was terrible.

Finally I found a once a day (that is the great part) iron supplement that I take. Its called REPLIVA and its prescription and I really do not have any gastro upset from it, either diarrhea or constipation. The great thing is it is once a day and it has vitamin C in it which aids in iron absorption.

And I just got my latest test results back...giving you the current in black and the last set in red plus the ranges.

Iron 87 45 range 40-175
TIBC 312 367 range 250-450 (please note with this test the higher the number the worse the result.

% sat 28% 12% (very low was flagged) range 15-50
Ferritin 47 25 range 10-232

The above results are after 2 months on the iron treatment.

If you do pursue iron treatment do it under a doctor's care because too much iron in high levels is dangerous.

And I have to say also make sure they check your vitamin D status too, just in case.

Hope this helps.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (09-22-2008), GladysD (09-23-2008), Natalie8 (09-22-2008)