Thread: iron deficiency
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

DM Thanks for your reponse. The internet can be a dangerous place as far as medical info goes!! Self-diagnosis, though, is so much fun. So your gastro and PCP both thought a ferritin of 23 was okay? Honestly, I can't say I'm interested in taking iron supplements as I've heard they cause major gastro-intestinal problems. So I'm assuming you still are not taking iron anymore? Have you been re-tested?

yeahbut Wow, you were at a 2? I guess hemorraghing will do that too you. I will start eating some more turkey! I already eat SO much red meat to begin with -- maybe my body is craving iron??

Shelley Thanks so much for the VERY useful information. I guess I was just confused as to why the first test showed mildly low hemoglobin, hemocrit, and red blood cells and the second CBC 3 weeks later came back normal.

I did get checked for folic acid and B-12. Folic acid was normal and B12 was 344 with a range of 250-1100. I remember a year ago my B12 was in the 600 something range. My vitamin D was very low at 17 last year when I was diagnosed. Got it up higher but she is checking that again (still waiting on result).

Iron serum was 85 with range of 35-145
Total IBC was 299 with a range of 250-450
Unsaturated IBC was 214 with a range of 155-300
% saturation was 28 with range of 20-50
Ferritin was 20 with range of 10-220

So I guess just listen to my primary doc.? She did not suggest iron supplementation of any kind. Although she thought the ferritin and % saturation were not "generous." (whatever that means??!!)

Oh yeah, I forgot I feel cold all the time. That's an iron deficiency symptom? hmmm...

So you see an endocrinologist for anemia related stuff? I thought a hematologist or gastro was in order??

Frank Thanks for info on Deb. Hope she is doing okay.
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (09-22-2008), GladysD (09-24-2008), yeahbut (09-22-2008)