View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hmmm not sure I can totally answer your questions. Tivo was really the first of the DVRs and it is the more fancy DVR per se because they actually program the thing with extra things like showcases on advertisers products and behind the scene programs. So the Branded TIVO actually provided more content. THe other thing TIVO does which I find creepy is based on teh shows you record, it will search all of TV and suggest other things for you to watch.

BUt there really is no difference mechanically in how TIVO works versus a cable/satellite provided DVR. They both work off a TV guide listing and you look at that and tab over to the show you want and hit record. And if you want to record the whole season you hot record twice.

BUt TIVO is losing share because the cable companies and satellite companies can provide DVR boxes at a lower cost because they have more subscribers.

So eventually TIVO will sub contract itself out to the cable companies and satellite sompanies because TIVO cannot compete for subscribers on its own so it's likley that the TIVO guys will go into business with the cable guys and satellite guys and provide TIVO like service through the cable/satellite DVR boxes and you will pay a higher fee for TIVO like DVR services versus the basic DVR services.

I have had TIVO and a DVR through Direct TV. The TIVO box at the time cost me like $250 while the latest Direct TV DVR costs me like $5 a month more than my bill. Plase note an HD DVR which you do not need because there is not enough HD content out there would be more than $5 a month plus an extra fee for the HD programming.

So it really is more cost efficient to get your DVR through your cable or direct TV provider. Right now my TIVO sits in a closet and we have all Direct TV DVRs. BUt that could also be because I do business with the TIVO people and have never liked them.

Plus Mel I am not sure how you would have to hook up a TIVO with your direct TV service. Better to have them do it.

Hope that helps. DVRs are really nice. LIke tonight I am recording three programs at the same time on one box.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (09-24-2008), jeanb (09-24-2008)