Thread: Hello?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita View Post
Thanks to all of you for the welcome and advice. My fiance' and I went to his pain doc Thursday for his first nerve block. I had no idea it was going to be so bad for him.
He had a terrible reaction to the meds that were supposed to relax him, and the injected steroids pooled under his diaphragm and caused him to be very short of breath and have terrible pain in his arm.
He was so nauseated and had horrible tremors. He's still having horrible tremors and his pain and sensitivity are both worse than before the block.
Has anyone else had a reaction similar to this? his doc wants to do another block, and he says no way.. he's a tough guy, and he rarely complains much about his pain. He literally thought he was dying the night of the block.
The swelling and color were much better on saturday, but the pain was worse, and when he woke up yesterday (sunday), the color and swelling were as bad as before, but his sensitivity is so bad now..and it wasn't before, probably thanks inpart to his constantly wearing an air cast. Now he cant stand the air cast on his leg. His knee is also really swollen and throbbing.
This has not been a good experience for him at all..and i don't know what to do now!
Hi Rita and Reed, It's really frightening to have all these things come slamming up against us isn't it. The thing is, some people react well to blocks and other don't. Same applys to meds. I've had this 12 years, now full body, no blocks, was misdiagnosed for a long time. I had the jerks and spasms too, especially while relaxing or sleeping. Those electric lightning bolts would lift my head right off the pillow, scared me to death. I was on neurotin for about 3 years 3200 mg. and now on lyrica. both have the nasty side affect of weight gain, and of course we are now out playing tennis 5-6 days a week, or water skiing all summer and snow skiing all winter, or being with our friends at the club doing aerobics, running 10k's etc.No wonder I stayed my high school weight for 30 years. And of course we had our one and only daughter at 30. She kept me busy, so much fun. She really has had a hard time adjusting to her mom's changes. She probably knows too much. She is court reporter and did deposition on RSD for a woman suing her DR. for omitting to tell her of the risk of getting RSD from the surgery. Rita, just keep reading all you can, the older posts have a lot of knowledge in them. Like be careful doing to dentist, it can get in teeth. That doesn't sound pleasant. I use the gas mask now and take anti-biocs the day of the procedure. I have it in my left half of face, with painful knots under the skin. I have the left temple trigeminal nerve problem. Some time my left eye is on fire for hours. That's a real tough one. In my opinion, it's real helpful to go to support group meetings. You can get a phone number and name from rsd association. just put your zip code in. From there, you can get some names of experiences Drs. Having a good neurologist is a must. physical therapy with someone experienced. If they get too vigorous, it can get worse. My Dr. is a psychiatrist, neurologist and pharmacologist and a teacher. He teaches on west coast, but has a limited practice and lives in AZ. He's moving in 2 years.He's helped me sooooooo very much. Wonderful patient man and conservative on the narcotics. Swimming is great for this disorder, easy on the body and I stretch dailey. Don't underestimate the long term expense of this mess. I can no longer work. The last 3-4 years really hurt our home business. One morning my blood pressure dropped when I awoke and passed out. (over an hour) 4 days in ICU Bill was 33K I have a friend here that has happened to 3 times. I don't spend even a second thinking about what might not happen My husband won't leave me alone though, the paramedics told him they couldn't get pulse and I was dead. They checked other side I guess and found 60/40. I don't remember very much. Music is a real relaxer, talking and writing to friends. Just have to be careful not to talk about the beast, most people can't take it and will withdraw from you. It's not because they don't care and love you, they just can't fatham the 24/7 pain and all that goes with this disaster. I hope we get on the Dr. Phil show, 1/2 the country has never heard of RSD, including my next door neighbor that has been practicing for 30 years. Hope this in no way was discouraging, knowledge is power and keep stretching Reed, swim if you can, I love massage-not too deep. Take care, Loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote