Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi dmplaura,

It sure does seem like the time line of your dentistry fits the situation you are experiencing. I have never heard of mouth splints causing burning mouth syndrome, but I suppose anything is possible. Could you be highly sensitive to the material that was used to fabricate the splints?

Nystatin is prescribed if there is "visual" signs of oral candida present during a clinical examination. Did your dentist prescribe this based only on your symptoms? Since you have come up negative for oral candida on 5 different occasions, then obviously the nystatin wouldn't be of benefit.

Has a dentist ruled out oral lichen planus? If not, that may be something to explore at this time.

It doesn't sound like you have permanent nerve damage. At least not from the mouth splints. It sounds to me like you may have an autoimmune condition going on in your mouth that was caused by ???. Perhaps your neurologist can offer you more insight into what is going on. But I would also have a dentist perform a thorough oral exam to rule out oral lichen planus.

Sorry I cannot be of more help :-( Please keep us informed on how you're doing!

Bryanna
I had thought about OLP... I haven't worn those mouth splints since last year by the way.

I've had 2 dentists, doctor and neuro all looking in the mouth... none suggested OLP.

I asked if I could be allergic to the splints. They were a hard plastic. They said no way, and I can't for the life of me remember what was used to craft them.

They felt like they were cutting into my gums for the month I wore them. Even after, they still continued to feel like this. I ultimately stopped wearing them.

It was a doctor at the clinic that prescribed nystatin to see if the burning would 'clear up'. He did a swab and said he'd call if yeast was found (he never called, I asked on a later visit, yeast was cleared).

It's just too coincidental that this resulted AFTER wearing those dumb splints. They covered my top and bottom row of teeth entirely, down to the gums. I wish I had never paid for them.

I am going to ask about OLP, but honestly.. I read about it, and from what I can tell reading, and having checked my own mouth regularly, I don't see any abnormalities.
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote