View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
This is a 40 yr. old tub/shower fiberglass combo unit that has already been patched. It's time to replace it! So I go online and find a lovely one piece shower only unit that will fit the space perfectly. It has a bench built in, a grab bar, shelves for stuff and it can be a "normal" shower fixture or fancy multi headed shower fixture ( you cut the holes depending on what you want)

Make sure that you will be able to get the unit in there. When I was working for a remodeling company we advised against these as when houses are built (at least here) the tubs/shower are put in before the walls go in. The units are too big to fit in after the walls are put in.

My question is: What is under there?? I know regular shower units usually have a shower pad under them. Would a tub/shower unit have a long pad of the same stuff under it? Is it possible it sits on the studs? If it is a pad, does it have a drain separate from the actual drain that is hooked to the unit? It's over a crawl space, but I AIN'T going in! I'm just worried about being able to replace it myself.

Not sure on this one. Most the homes that we worked on were single level with concrete flooring. However, there are several different styles of shower pans with holes for the drains in different places, i.e., center, right sided drain, left sided drain.

The bathroom needs a lot of work and I figure if I have to replace the tub/shower unit, I may as well do the rest of it too. I am not looking for fancy. I want safe and sound. I am NEVER selling this house, so I want to replace the tub/shower unit with a walk in shower. I figure that ALL the wallboard is regular gypsum wallboard and NOT cement wallboard or greenboard, since whoever built it cut corners everywhere else! I will have to replace that all too. I may as well insulate better since the walls will be uncovered.

Great idea!

I don't have a fan in there so I may as well replace the light fixtures and put in a fan. Can I run the vent from that to the stinkpipe or will that cause a problem? I would not recommend doing this. In fact, I don't think you can as there are codes against this. (I have a metal roof and I don't want to cut it!) Would I be better off with a wall unit fan that vents through the wall with no light attached? Can I run the power for that from an existing light so when you turn on the light, the fan comes on? Yes, DBF and I just did this in his rental house. When you turn the light on the fan goes on. It's just a matter of wiring.

Flooring: I live within 20 feet of the lake. Mud/dirt/grass/flooding/etc.
I figure sheet vinyl flooring is the best bet, but does anyone have any experience with engineered hardwood? Is there a brand that holds up well under moist/wet conditions?

I agree with MSCherokee and Tante. I would not put it in the bathroom for the reasons MSCherokee stated. I believe it is Armstrong that makes sheet vinyl that looks like wood if you really want that wood look.

AARGH! I wasn't planning on doing the bathroom right now, and I cannot nor do I want a contractor to do the job cause I don't trust them! NOw I have to do a crash course!! Any suggestions/answers are truly appreciated!
Home Depot has a great book on remodeling bathrooms. I think you can pick it up for about $15 or something like that.

Also, check out Consumer Reports as they rate all different products including flooring, shower/tub units, fans, etc. Since you will be living there for a long, long time (lol) you want any products that you put in there to last. I know you are my Thrifta Sista but don't be too thrifty with the products you pick.

Good luck with your remodel.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (09-24-2008), dmplaura (09-25-2008), MSacorn (09-25-2008), MSCherokee (09-25-2008), Riverwild (09-24-2008)