Thread: I'm glad
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I am also proud to be an American, and feel blessed to have been born here, but I also know that our election system is not perfect, by any means.
The politicians shout, "If you don't like the way things are going, vote the person in power out!"
But the people who are running against them are often just as bad, if not worse. And real people can't afford to run for office anymore...it costs too darn much. Only the wealthy or those who take contributions from people or organizations who they're later beholden to can run.

(You all must know that I grew up in Chicago, and I've seen my share of shenanigans politically...but I have always voted, and been proud to do so!)

And now those touch voting screen machines that are so much in use now are so easily able to be changed...even though we're told they're cheat-proof. I was an election judge, and believed this...but now I believe they're not cheat-proof, as was proved in the last election.

I believe in the founding brothers' ideals...but I don't believe we any longer are governed by those ideals. It breaks my heart...

Yet I will vote on Election Day, and I will do it with pride, no matter how crooked my choices turn out to be. Because I am proud to be an American.

"My country, when right, to be kept right. When wrong, to be made right..." Carl Schurz.

Last edited by Debbie D; 09-26-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Typos...and elucidation of my thoughts
Debbie D is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (09-26-2008), Darlene (09-27-2008), SandyC (09-26-2008), weegot5kiz (09-26-2008)