View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

There are 2 other more "drastic" ways to clean your keyboard.

#1 Withe the computer off, unplug the keyboard. Pop off each key and wash them in warm soapy water (I use dawn dish washing fluid). A nail file or small flat head screwdriver works great. Be careful of the shift, space, and enter keys as each has a metal bar that snaps into plastic snaps. IF you break the little snaps, no worries the key will still work (I've busted my right shift key's snaps), it just won't "spring" back up so fast. Let the keys dry and put them back on. You can print an image of a keyboard from the net before so you can put them properly, or take a photo, or even look at another keyboard

#2 With the computer off, unplug the keyboard. Get a #2 phillips screw driver and remove the screws from the bottom of the computer. Take the top half (with the keys on it) and put it in your dishwasher IF it has a low/gentle cycle. DO NOT use the high/heavy wash cycle as this will more often than not wash away the lettering on the keys

I've done both, usually I go with #1 because I find it oddly relaxing to do while watching tv. I use the dishwasher when I'm in a hurry.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kalamity_jane (09-26-2008)