View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Burning mouth syndrome & withdrawal from benzodiazipines

Hi, I also suffer from BMS and other areas that burn. I also wore many splints over the last 14 years and took clonazepam.

I understand that burning mouth syndrome (from my research) can be due to sensory nerve damage.

I have been on another forum where a man had this whilst on benzodiazepines. It was the actual daily withdrawal from the drug itself that caused the burning. It is not easy to stop taking this drug. But he managed to do it and years later he is getting better, even though he still gets it, its not as bad.

It is my educated guess that some nerve damage happened (in my case) during an infection (wisdom tooth) and its extraction. I was informed it was infected right up to nerve root...and was not given antibiotics. The pain worsened after the tooth was extracted and spread.

From there, my dentist just didn't know what to do and said it would take time..I took myself to oral dentist who started with the splint etc meds.

Now I have palatal pharyngeal and laryngeal myoclonus, I believe due to original injury PLUS effects of all the medications & withdrawal from them causing nerves to misfire during all these years.

Clonazepam affects cognitive function, memory etc.
I find certain foods can make it worse, like bananas. Keep away from coffee, sugar.

Hope this helps some.
burnmyo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (09-27-2008)