View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamsLikeStitches View Post
I for one have no other income, no place to live, and no one to ask for help. I am currently working and no longer have a car because all my money goes to medical bills and medication.
If I have to go on disability, where will I live, and how will I eat while I wait for my checks?

Yes, I have two daughters, but they are struggling financially themselves. One has a studio apartment for her and her 5 year old daughter. The other is a drug addict whom I can't depend on. Hmmmmm......

I simply pray that I can continue to work. I don't know what I'll do when I get too sick to do that. I'm only 50.

God Bless all of you who are struggling through this process!
Stitches

Since you are working in California, it is likely that you are paying an SDI tax for the California State Disability program that can pay you a bi-weekly benefit for up to twelve months while you are waiting for a decision from SSDI, when it becomes too hard for you to work anymore. The SDI program is run by California's Employment Development Departmen (EDD) that also pays unemployment benefits. The criteria for SDI eligibility are not nearly as stringent as SSDI and are generally based on YOUR doctor's opinion, not an employee of the agency like SSDI uses.

SDI only lasts 12 months, though, then it runs out. There is no health insurance coverage with SDI either.

What is your existing health insurance coverage? Can you use COBRA to purchase the insurance after you stop work? With SSDI, you would have Medicare but the earliest date would be 29 months after you stopped work.

Have you looked into Medi-Cal (California's version of Medicaid)? You state that you have low income, so you might qualify for that. You still may have to pay a portion of the bills, called share of costs.

You need to start the research now, so that if you find that you can't work, you have a few options available.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote