View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 09:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default a little book

Something that helped me a lot was a little book recommended by another forum member here, fmichael. Break Through Pain by Shinzen Young. It has a CD with some guiding meditations on it.

I think to sum up the book as briefly as possible would be that Young talks about the old saying "pain and suffering" and it IS possible to have pain without suffering. I credit this book to my ability to continue to work without taking "pain" medication on a daily basis. I am not saying I am not in pain. Believe me I am. But, I am able to deal with it a lot better. A LOT better.

I think how it helped me was teaching me not to be afraid of pain. I don't know that I was ever truly successful at meditation in the true sense of the word. But, once I stopped being afraid of the pain, and was able to relax during the worst electrical zaps, sharp pains, etc... I was able to tolerate it far better.

There are some excerpts of the book online. fmicheal sited the website on this forum before, so should be ok for me to do it again.

You can go to this site
http://shinzen.org/

and a little more than halfway down, under the heading
Applying Meditation in Daily Life
click on
A Synopsis of Shinzen Young's Book Break Through Pain

I think the book/CD was about $20. It might be worth giving it a try.

hugs
Jules
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (10-10-2008), Summertime (10-07-2008)