View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 08:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default You are what you eat and also what your grandma ate!

Interesting article about how genes can be silenced for multiple generations!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...other-ate.html

Quote:
A mother’s diet can change the behaviour of a specific gene for at least two subsequent generations, a new study demonstrates for the first time.

Feeding mice an enriched diet during pregnancy silenced a gene for light fur in their pups. And even though these pups ate a standard, un-enriched diet, the gene remained less active in their subsequent offspring.

The findings could help explain the curious results from recent studies of human populations – including one showing that the grandchildren of well-fed Swedes had a greater risk of diabetes.

The new mouse experiment lends support to the idea that we inherit not only our genes from our parents, but also a set of instructions that tell the genes when to become active. These instructions appear to be passed on through “epigenetic” changes to DNA – genes can be activated or silenced according to the chemical groups that are added onto them.
I don't remember much about what my Grandmother ate other than she was very fond of Horehound candies... so what does that make me!?!
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote