View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up vp shunt

hi,

ive been searching all over google the last few days looking up these symptoms as i have my shunt tubing replaced 2 weeks ago and since the night of the operation ive been getting horrible pains in my lower abdominal area, little stabbing from the inside and then it drags across. its nasty!
and i know it sounds crude but it feels like gas at times and the pain goes through me!

after finding a forum on a different website there were several people on there discussing all the same pains after having their shunts, && after them seeing their neurosurgeon they have all been advised that its their tubing poking them or hitting a nerve.

there were a few cases of a couple of them having to have their VP shunt converted to a VA shunt where the tubing goes into the heart instead of the stomach. others just hope for it to migrate itself and others have had surgery to have the tubing moved to another part of the peritoneal.

i would get it checked out though as it may not be the tube just poking you, its possible that the fluid has formed a pseudocyst where the fluid has built up in the same spot and made a sack causing a cyst...i dont mean to sound doom and gloom, ive just been thinking bout these possibilites about yself so thought ild share them with the people sharing similar disomfort.

im currently on holiday in spain for 2 weeks, so if my pains are still there as they have been for 2 weeks, then im off to great ormond street to see if my theory is correct. lol.

good luck hun xx
jadiee-x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote