View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 11:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Update on Spinal Cord Stimulator

Claudia,

I had the SCS surgery on Nov 3rd, and everything went smoothly. I was very sore for the first 3-4 days, my upper back where they inserted the leads and especially my rear end, which is where the battery was placed (it's very small, 2" around and 1/2" wide or less< they make a "pocket" to place it in in the upper part of the buttock, where a rear pants pocket would be).

I'm over most of the post-op pain now, and the SCS is working as it should, and I have to say it is really helping ! My arms have always been the worst source of my pain, although my neck, upper chest and back and now my legs all contribute as well. But I notice very little arm/hand pain now,due to the stimulation, which I have gotten used to pretty quickly. Because I have less pain, I sleep better, wake more refreshed. And I find myself going hours past the time for my pain meds, where before the SCS at least 2 hours before time I would start watching the clock,waiting until I could finally take my pain med again because I hurt so bad.

I still have 5 weeks of restricted activity, no lifting, bending, twisting, reaching above my head - and I haven't done a bit of Christmas shopping! I've told dh he WILL be coming with me for some heavy duty shopping trips in the coming weeks - my legs will only do about an hour at a time. I'm thinking besides my girls that we may do a lot of gift certificates this year Anyway, it takes 6 weeks for the leads to scar in, that's why the restrictions. So I am trying hard to be extra good.

I would say though from all the feedback I've heard from others and from my Dr, I would NOT go with a Medtronic - the unit I have is by Advanced Bionics, it's the only one my Dr says he uses for the upper body because it gives more precision over the area to be covered. It's also got the longest battery life I think, it has a warranty for 5 years but my Dr says most patients of his are getting 9-11 and I am using such low power I could get as much as 15. That sounds MUCH better than the 3-5 that seemed to be the norm in the past!

Lots to think about, I do know someone who has had both the ANS and the Advanced Bionic and has done a LOT of research into SCSs', if you would like I could probably put you in contact with her, she could answer any questions better than I. I would NOT let your Dr railroad you into an SCS, and particularly a MedTronic one, if you don't feel sure it's what you want or need at this time. But it does seem to be really working for me, and I am thankful for the relief from pain!!!

Best wishes, beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote