View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

BF,

I have had this type of chest pain before in relation to panic attacks. I am one with spinal disorders; especially of the cervical spine. Prior to any surgeries the pain was SEVERE! In retrospect I believe the panic attacks were brought on by my body's own response to the pain...vaso vagal. I would get the severe headaches (cervicogenic with variant migraines); two types at the same time AND every day! Anyway, the pain AND dizziness would set up a vicious cycle of FEARING I would pass out. Then my heart would start racing and I would feel that crushing pain although nothing was wrong at all with my heart. I have also had an esopageal spasm before that literally took the wind out of me. Additionally, I was also diagnosed with Gastritis and GERD but as you say, the pain or heartburn was NOT the same thing. What has helped me besides the surgeries and getting the severe pain under control was a low dose of Klonopin of which I am still on today. Anyway, the Gastritis and GERD has cleared up I no longer have to take any PPI's. And gone are the panic attacks. So, again, I think it was a combination of a lot of things but more importantly the vaso vagal response which can cause the chest pain you speak of. Since the Xanax helped you I would ask the doc for perhaps a milder anti-anxiety med...maybe Ativan or even Buspar. Xanax and then Klonopin are about the only meds that helped me get through the panic attacks and Klonopin definitely helps with the neuropathic pain. Dorrie is correct too. Many, many times I had to put my head down and breathe slowly. When this kind of thing happens it is real, and it seems to me everything goes into a spasm and yep, have had it go into my back before.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brokenfriend (09-30-2008), GmaSue (02-11-2009)