View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ali,

From the perspective of a really old guy (me - I'm 55.)

I think it is great that you are going to try to go back to school. Anything you can do to get back to doing things with people your age is going to help how you feel. You are wise enough to already know that some schoolmates will treat you differently. That goes without saying, but it is simply because they do not really understand what is going on. Do not take it personally. A lot of times people will be curious. Instead of trying to explain the whole condition over and over, might I suggest creating an "explanation letter" that you can give to people. This can be a summary of what RSD is, how it has affected you, and emphasize YOU ARE NOT CONTAIGOUS. You could hand this to anyone who is interested.

If your old friends have not visited you over the last year, it probably is not because they no longer care about you. It think it might be that people simply do not know how to act when they are visiting you. Even with adults, when I have been ill or in hospital, friends will stop in and do not know what to say. They are afraid of "doing the wrong thing." They do not want to dwell on why you are ill, and remind you about it. And, they don't want to tell you about all of the exciting things they are doing and also rub it in that you can't be there or do the same things. So, they are uncomfortable.

I hope you find that easing back into school works for you. I feel it's the best thing someone can do - get back to doing what others are, as much as possible.

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote