View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Ali,
You school MUST accomadate you under the persons with disability ACT section 504. You are provided an aid, special tutoring, time to rest, take test untimed, use a tape recorder, notetaker, use a computer with software for dication,

I have Fybromyalgia among many other chronic issues and returned to college with accomadations.
My dd is under a 504 for panic/anxiety, school phobic. She was given the oppertunity to go back for one class, Art, in the morning.....Currently this fall I registered her for online cyber charter school. She is doing well, but is not disciplined to structure her day timely.

But, the classes were targeted to her gifted IQ, and to her anxiety when pressured. She had no social life the last two years, she was bullied and the principal did not validate her concerns, her tormented ehr as much as the bullies did badgering her that she just thinks people are hositle and teasing her. JERK! sHE Could not even reenter the school dors after that day.
But, if you think it could benefit you, there are several in the cyber charter with physical problems.
She attends connections academy. There are 25 field trips each month so socialization is not a problem.Also for PE there is an adaptive program. She can take yoga, horsebackriding, karate, etc. They contribute towards that cost. Also the online service is reimbursed.
the school district money goes to the cyber charter school so no tution. She gets a regular diploma if she can not get back, or decideds to stay through highschool. Fully accredited.

I know that the classes she currently takes are a year ahead and also gifted, more challanging the moind. Not just what the "silk road was" ut, were how the dynasties, structures, details of the building of the grand canal, oining Northern and southern china, the porciline, why silk was sought after, and more....just intodays lesson.. In school she would have just had that there was a silk road for trade and where it started and where it ended , to who used it.

As opposed to one hour a week homebound or in school, it is the best thing for her. She just has to structure her day better.
Good luck,
dianne
PS the 504 was developed with an IME, to accomadate the disabilities. YOUE ARE GIVEN THIS, NOT FIGHT FOR IT, OR THINK OF AS THEM GIVING YOU IT!

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (10-02-2008)