View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 09:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question More questions re: EFA's MRSD

Gosh - I am really trying to understand this. I read all the articles you posted. Since I have FM and RSD I understand that EFA
Omega 3 and 6 are good for inflammation. My diet is very poor for various reasons thus I need the supplements. Now - I am also deficient in Vitamin D (1(18). I have read where a protocal for low D is synthetic 50,000 pils once per week for 4 -6 weeks Or maybe 8. Anyway that does work as I know someone who did it. Her level jumped from 8 to 60 (25-)H) However, my naturopathic dr. says to take the natural D (which contains A also) . I was taking 4,000 natural D a day and then realized I was taking 10,000 A a day. I read where this was the max per day.

Now for the EFA part. The naturopathic dr. also recommended Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil - 1 T a day. The directions on the bottle say one half teaspoon. The ingredients in one half teaspoon are 5,750 A, 575 D , 145-375 EPA and 150-360 DHA. Wow! If I take 1T - I thought I'd really be overdosing on the A. Also, I am taking the D. which contains 1,000 A in every 400 D capsule.
I called to be sure these were the correct directions. He said "yes" I can take 1 T of this CLO because it is natural A not synthetic. I am not overdosing. However, he did say to cut back on some of the natural D and switch to synthetic. Yet , I'm still getting about 36,00 A a day with the CLO.

Questions? Should I just be taking a regular fish liver oil instead of the one with all the A to get the maximum EFA's?
What do you think of the dosage of A in 1T - too high?
I read about the one in the article you posted. which is supposedly recommended. However, it was originated from plants not fish oil. I'm confused. Sorry I can't remember the name now. I read it earlier. Is A important for my condition. Should I take some CLO and some regular fish oil?

So - in light of all this info - can someone - mrsd help me out with this. I Also, because of the FM and RSD and Mer. Per. what would an appropriate dose of these EPA's be? The Blue Ice doesn't have that much in just one half teaspoon. I had previously been taking Icelandic at Icelandic.com and that had a lot more /EPA and less A.
Hope I am not confusing you. Just trying to do this correctly to try to get out of this chronic pain. I figured this is worth a try. The Dr. also said I should try to get my D level up to 80 and I would get some pain relief. He is big on D. Thanks, Sydney
Sydney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
armac (02-01-2009)