View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Your lymphatic system drains right through the thoracic outlet (thus it's called an "outlet"). So, all that junk from your head that should be heading down into your body to escape, gets trapped at the outlet because of your compression. I know ALL about this. This seems to be my latest *big problem.* I keep getting sick, and NOTHING drains, so I stay sick. And then all that junk that sticks around creates just enough of a swelling in the area to not be noticeable visually, but to put enough pressure on the area to flare up the TOS even more, which then causes more blockage at the Outlet. It's really a downward spiral.

If you ever get sick, start taking antibiotics, and find out two hours later that your head wants to explode -- your outlet is probably blocked. All the junk breaks up and has nowhere to go. Even better, when you get that horrific, unbearable neck pain that makes you think TOS is going to kill you -- you know the type, where you can't even touch your neck with half an ounce of pressure... Yah... The outlet is probably stuck. OR if you get stabbing pain right to the side of either armpit -- outlet is blocked.

There are things that work, though. I'd advise making sure you find someone REALLY knowledgeable on lymphatic drainage to perform it for you. Personally, I wouldn't trust anyone without a medical degree unless they come highly recommended. Even then, do your homework. Luckily for us, there are medical doctors called Osteopaths (D.O.) who are usually trained in this procedure. Many of them are knowledgeable about TOS and opening up the thoracic outlet.

I literally had this done last Thursday. I have another appointment Wednesday to have it done again. If it's "really bad" it usually takes a few treatments.

Just a warning, though, it's a terribly painful procedure. Really, it's something to be ready for. Especially if you're really blocked. They basically lay you down on your back, they raise your arm straight up in the air, and they press really hard on the outlet while moving your arm around. As they press, they push the junk down. It's really NOT a good feeling. You'll get that sense of impending doom. Your arm will hurt really bad, your underarm will hurt really bad, and the outlet - forget about it. I usually can't even breathe when this is done to me. My doc keeps saying as calmly as he can, "breathe slowly..."

BUT - NEVER FEAR! My experience has been that almost immediately after they release your arm back to you, the pain goes away. And if they do enough of it, you'll feel like a SUPERHERO the next day.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER! TAKE LOTS OF GUAIFENESIN! Water & Guai will break that stuff up really well and make it easier to pass! The more liquidy you can get the junk, the better.

I don't know about you, but NOBODY presses on my thoracic outlet. Thus, you need to find someone who you REALLY trust.

My family doctor is a really good D.O. He teaches at big universities, and he's really well-known in the medical world. He's one of the very few osteopath family physicians who practices OMT (Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy) on a regular basis with his patients. If you can find someone like him, you'll be in really good hands.

Hope that helps,
J
JennyHurts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fern (08-28-2009), tshadow (08-30-2009)