View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink the only pups I saw

Were 5-6 month old Rottweilers...a pair who were rescued by two sisters.

At 5-6 months they became destructive, and were starting to attack children, fighting over food, and tearing up the house.

Cesear fixed them, but it was a longer fix, not 10 minutes like some.

The sisters had to do certain things, daily, for a while.

I think it is fascinating stuff. And he explains that this is NOT training, but
dog psychology. Dogs inherently think a certain way, and we must match
our behaviors to that task. We cannot make or expect them to UNDERSTAND US. There was a very funny episode with a Bassett hound that a the female owner spoiled like a child. He woudn't walk...she had to carry him. One funny sequence was her DRAGGING him on a leash. LOL Cesear fixed that PRONTO!
All she had to do was become ALPHA dog.

On one of the older shows, he used to give updates at the end of the program, and he did have one failure--and the vicious dog had to be put down eventually. He specializes in violent dogs..pit bulls, rotties, etc. I think the newer shows are now venturing into the other behaviors.

I think with puppies, there is alot more training. But for squelching irritating habits/behaviors, you use Cesear's point of view. I think firmness, with understanding, and love and patience, most pets do not become problems.
And above all, the humans have to remain calm, centered, and grounded.
Remember he says to only give praise, when the dog is calm, and centered. Do not praise when excited or agitated! To me that is a BIGGIE!

Funny story--
This summer our cousin down the way brought a friend who had TWO huge dogs (Great Pyrennese -sp?) and he had two chocolate lab pups almost grown. The largest GP came down our way with one of the labs. They didn't expect people, since we had just arrived. (this is an open area, a family owned island). They were investigating the cat smells. Our Oreo flew in the cat door, so I knew something was up. I watched them from the kitchen window silently. The chocolate lab was rolling in the cat toilet LOL like dogs do to take the smell back to the pack---peeeuuuuu
and the 160lb GP looked up and saw me watching. We stood there for about 30 seconds sizing each other up. The heavy casement window was closed, but I just quietly said "What do you think you are doing?" She heard it thru the walls, and slowly rolled her eyes up and around, and then made these funny woof woof sounds (not really a bark) sort of like she was talking. So then she gestured to the lab who was rolling in the cat poo...wufff.. she threw her head with the wuff.. and they both took off. Now that I have seen the Dog Whisperer, I know I must have done the "right thing" !! LOL And that long eye contact...was perceived as dominance? I guess. At the time I thought they were just nice dogs...who respected people.
When they all left a week later we watched them give the dogs a bath in the lake... I guess maybe all of them had sampled our cat toilet

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote