View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb The A in cod liver oil

Is retinol, not betacarotene. Your doses are still not that high, unless you are planning on getting pregnant or are pregnant already.
Here is what Dr. Mercola has to say about it:
http://www.mercola.com/forms/carlsons.htm

Vit A retinol has been implicated in birth defects..so it is low or not present
in most prenatals.

Betacarotene is the type of A present in vegetables, and it has to be converted to real A in the body. If someone is hypothyroid, this often fails, and the skin
turns an orange color as the betacarotene builds up there. (this happened to me).

If you want to increase your fatty acids only--it is best to use fish BODY oils, in addition to the cod liver oil you are currently using. The fish oils I have been discussing are fish BODY oils, not CLO. As long as you are being supervised by a doctor, I would defer to him/her.

Extremely high Vit A intake has been linked to pseudotumor cerebri.. but that is very high doses, which you are not yet at.

The doses typically used to treat acne by dermatologists are in the 25,000 IU to 50,000 IU range. You are far below that.
Most prenatals today have had Vit A removed, or drastically lowered, and betacarotene substituted.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 01-29-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: removing expired links
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
armac (02-01-2009)