View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default lymph massage

Hi,
I just read the post about having a DO do your lymph massage. My MT assures me that you can do this for yourself. I have it also on good authority my partner who is a radiation oncologist that yes you can do lymph massage and a family member can do it on a cancer patient who has breast cancer and has lymph back up. It is only need to have very very light pressure. If it hurts then there may be something wrong. If anyone ever tried to put my arm up high in the air I'd scream as it would be hellishly painful due to my TOS. I don't know how anybody with TOS could stand the above procedure.
the only case I can think of is if you have total lymph blockage, but by then you may not be able to move your arm up due to the swelling, like my breast cancer patients. You could not move their arms as the tumor was blocking the lymph flow, but you could do a very light massage to help to relieve this type of pain although it won't stop the blockage it stops some of the pain.

I am only speaking from my own experience as a nurse and as information my MT has given me as well as my DH. I hope I have not offended only offering a different side to this story.

pls refer to this article with this quote
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/05/health/05cons.html
"Even after diagnosis, it may be hard to get access to good treatment. The preferred therapy for lymphedema, called complete decongestive therapy, involves a time- and labor-intensive gentle massage technique to stimulate new pathways for the lymphatic fluid. Many insurance policies cover the therapy, which can cost thousands of dollars.
It is performed by certified lymphedema therapists, who have completed at least 135 hours of training. The National Lymphedema Network’s Web site, www.lymphnet.org, has a directory of certified therapists that can be perused by state or region."

http://www.aumbodyworks.com/ldt.htm this site states the following
OK, I'm sold on why it's good. How is it done? Is it painful?
"1. Lymphatic Drainage is a hands-on technique designed to attain and sustain proper functioning of the human fluid system.
2. Lymph Drainage Therapy is an original hands-on method of lymphatic drainage developed by Bruno Chikly, MD, DO (hon.). Created out of his research on the lymphatic system, LDT takes traditional lymph drainage techniques and adds a new level of precision in keeping with the latest scientific discoveries and exact anatomical science.
3. The therapist utilizes gentle manual maneuvers to aid in the recirculation of body fluids. While the exact amount of pressure applied depends on the area and pathology involved, it averages an extremely light five grams, or the equivalent weight of a nickel. With that pressure, it is not painful at all.
4. Using this technique, trained therapists are able to detect the specific rhythm, direction, depth and quality of the lymph flow anywhere in the body. From there they can use their hands to perform Manual Lymphatic Mapping of the vessels to assess the overall direction of lymphatic circulation, areas of stagnation, and the best alternate pathways for draining lymph and other body fluids."

love and hugs,
Victoria

How poor are they who have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees.

gibbrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fern (08-28-2009), tshadow (08-30-2009)