View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Question about Chayote (It's a squash)

I have a friend who is a diabetic. She is a type 2 but very thin and yeas ago her sugar was up to 800 and she went into a coma.

so to say she's VERY careful about her diet and meds, well, this is putting it mildly.

We have been each other's confidant and we always give each other recipes and new discoveries. I told her about Quinoa, and Chromium Picolinate and vegetables, etc.

She's also my beautician.

Well, today she comes running out of the beauty parlor all excited because she has been eating Chayote. I had never heard of this. She said she bought it at the vegetable store. She wasn't sure what it was (I've since looked it up on the internet). Her sugar reading has SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVED ever since she began to add the chayote to her blender concoction every morning. She is quite excited over this. Here's a link to Chayote.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chayote...y%20and%20Lore

Now here is how she uses this Chayote. She does not have a juicer. She has a blender. So every morning she puts a stalk of celery, some cucumber, and 4 teaspoons of raw Chayote into the blender. Comes like a mousse or something. She eats it raw. Now I juice a half cup of fresh celery and some cucumber every morning. My sugar is just fine.

I got the idea about juicing cucumber and celery from watching a special on the BBC. It seems that the nutritionists for the morbidly obese make the patients drink BIG glasses of this celery and cucumber concoction every day. The guys lost weight BIG time. And the nutritionist said "This is the healthiest drink you can start your day with".

So I gave it a try. I only drink half a cup. Just one stalk of celery and maybe a bit of cucumber.
BUT I WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN ADD SOME OF THE CHAYOTE??

The reason I ask is that IT'S A SQUASH, and I always thought all Squashes were starches AND I DON'T EAT STARCHY ANYTHING.

I do eat zucchini but that is a green squash.

So if anybody is knowledgeable about whether or not a controlled diabetic can add some raw Chayote to their celery and cucumber concoction in the morning, well, I'd love to hear it. Anyone hear anything about Chayote and diabetes??

And if I can eat it cooked, well I'll give it a try too.

I eat broccoli, asparagus and other greens every single day. My pancreas LOVES this and so do I. Thank goodness I like my veggies.

So thanks to anyone who knows ANYTHING!!

lol Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CayoKay (10-01-2008)