Thread: Pain meds
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica de Lara View Post
I have to confess that i have been feeling very depressed and thought it would be better if i refrained from writing or reading in this forum, but now i need to

I had refused taking drugs because i am young and i didn't want to depend on them to feel good. However I realize i am not feeling very good and i am a bit desperate and depressed. My last neuro precribed amitrityline and lyrica. i took both for very little time. I am wonering now if i should give both a try now, or one of them. My pain is tolerable but i still hate it and it becomes worse when i am reading or trying to do activities i used to enjoy. For that reason it is very difficult for me to perform well at work, because my jobs consists on reading writting tasks. I cannot quit my job and i don't want to. I would be more depressed. i would just like to be able to concentrate better without being thinking about my pain. The doctor had prescribed 25 mg of amittriptyline but i am thinking perhaps the dose was very low and that is way i didn't get any releif from the little time i took it. So... do you think i should go into meds?? If so, what is the dosage i should take and how long do i have to wait for the drug to take full efect?

I am so worriend about possible side effects, like suicidal thoughts!! or pain becoming worse... Is it worth a try??

Monica -

Dahlek is right, only you know what is right for you. Like you I was reluctant to take any of the meds prescribed but couldn't stand the burning. Since meds, I have alot less pain and can function better. For the first few weeks before meds I lay in the bed (with ice packs on all the buring areas) praying for relief then hoping to die.

For me it is a trade off...don't take the meds, suffer the pain and not be able to work/enjoy life or take the meds, minimize the pain and sorta' fog through! In the beginning it did take a while to get relief as the dosages are low and it takes time to get into the system, I think. The dosages slowly were elevated, came a bit more brain fog, but now I have been on a stable dosage for awhile and the brain fog seems to have lifted a great deal and I'm not burning to much.

As you said, you are very young. I'm old as dirt, but I know we all pray that better treatments will come along in our life time and certainly in yours. Hang in there! This is a great and caring group and I know they are there for you as they have been for me.
Leslie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Monica de Lara (10-08-2008)