View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree with the others re getting to a Coprehensive Epilepsy Center. It took me 35 years of general neuros who did nothing but play with the only thing they have, the meds. AThe meds do affect quality of life especially if they do not work like mine didn't. Finally I learned about Comprehensive Epilepsy Centers and went to one in the city where I lived. I wass referred to Empory by my local EFA. They are best buddies with Emory and refer all of the desperate people who call looking for help to Emory. Lots of politics. I had my VEEG as an inpatient at Emory, and during my inpatient VEEG, the staff let me go in to and stay in status for "a Day" according to my epileptologist who was out of town at the time. Great! I was so disappointed to know that the EFA referred me to a place that did me harm and continues to do this to others. The reason I tell you this is because if you go to that site mentioned above, you will find every doc in Emory's epilepsy program there but not the ones who did such a fantastic job for me with my surgery I had 10 years ago now. The facat that the docs are mentioned there does not at all mean they are the quality you seek. Many are not even epileptologists. I used to live in that area where I looked and saw the names. Many are not epileptologists. I encourGE you to ask those who have been treated at the plaCe you are interested in. I did that, and it was a positive experience for me. I got a second opinion after the Emory botch ( great that you will have a friend with you), found one who had has surgery at the same place, and she became my mentor and walked me through the surgery.I have not losgt consciousness since and that was 10 years ao. they did a great thorough job one time. I had my successful surgery at medical College of Georgia in Augusta, Ga, and the neurosurgeon was Dr Joseph Smith. It was one of the the best decisions I have ever made. My life is so much different and better now, and I am in graduate school. My seizures were increasing as others have said. Ask lots of questions and keep us posted. Tsttoo
Tattoo2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote