View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default do your own research

After checking with the NMSS I strongly suggest you do your own research of the medical literature in PubMed -NLM. The medical literature and what they say is in conflict in most things.

I have always thought of vitamins and supplements as complementary only but having recently stopped my Avonex shots after over 10 years I have come to rely on them more. Some medications taken for other conditions also have some very strong neuroprotection properties. My age 65 and my lack of recent MS activity (+MRI & no NEW symptoms) has made this a risk I am willing to take at this time of my life.

It is a matter of risk, lifestyle, costs, personal preference and your ability to make decisions based upon incomplete and admittedly weak info.

You need to learn "how MS progress" and what stage of MS concerns you.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jdalton/ms-two-stages.pdf

Targeting both the inflammatory stage of MS and the neurodegenerative stages makes good sense. I have not had a new lesion or shown any enhancing lesions for 6 years. I am now looking at preventing neurodegeneration.

I have done about 10 years of reading NLM abstracts and very recently had many things I discovered confirmed by some very recent good studies.

In other words things have gone from test tubes, to mice/rats and now human studies on MS folks.

I can help either by starting some new threads or private email. It can get VERY VERY VERY messy by posting here. It is VERY VERY VERY hard to stay on topic on an open forum. I would greatly prefer to do it that way so more can be exposed to these things. However someone will have heard of someone who they knew who said that someone told them that they took a vitamin/supplement pill and grew a new head or some valued body part fell off.

The first rule is of course DO NO HARM. So talking it over with some doctors
is a necessity. I saw mine yesterday and we agreed on 98% of things but there was that other 2%.

I have put some very interesting things in my web storage area. It is a collection of MS related full studies and articles I sometimes reference in my postings. I have no medical training but these things seem interesting.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jdalton/

This posting of mine on another board "MS refugees" contains a lot of good for MS Supplements/Vitamins info.

http://www.msrefugees.proboards82.co...ay&thread=3770

THIS IS A 3-(THREE) PAGE posting you must type next page number into the box at left bottom corner.

Good luck. Take one baby aspirin before reading and two after.(A tree bark supplement)

jackD

Last edited by jackD; 10-04-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: iriot carnt spiil
jackD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KarenMarie (10-04-2008), mbabic (10-04-2008), mom2five (10-31-2008), tante (10-06-2008), Twinkletoes (10-06-2008)