View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 10:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Marc - please see my reply to Kae Lee regarding having these cysts and what I went through with mine. They do make you tired and sick and living with them is not easy. I am surprised you were left with yours when it is obviously causing you symptoms. I was told that when they do start causing symptoms (symptomatic) they want to take them out as that is when you can drop into a coma and die within hours. I went to the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix Arizona, one of the best nuerological institutes in the nation. When they gave you the scan, what they were looking for was to see if your ventricles were blocked off and your csf fluid could not get through, thus causing you to have obstructive hydrocephalus. This is what my colloid cyst eventually did and why it was removed. I had the sick headaches for 20 years, complained of feeling like one of my eyeballs was trying to burst out of my head, was treated for migraines, cluster headaches, tension headaches and just about every kind of headache and medication out there that has ever been invented for headaches through the years. None of it ever worked for me, just had to let the damn headache work it's course. My neurosurgeon told me that what was happening in all those years was that cyst would get in a position to block off the fluids, cause the headache and then, for what ever reason, I would find just the right position of my head and/or neck, and the cyst would swing free again and the fluids were able to move freely again and the headache would go away.
Now that I have a VP shunt in my brain I have masive headaches when the barometric pressure changes, like when a storm is brewing. You hould start to keep notes on when your headaches happen - time of day, time of month, if there is extra stress going on at home, work, etc., if they wake you from sleep, what helps, what does not help, all factors of them (does the light hurt, are you sensitive to smells, sounds, colors, certain foods, etc.), moon phase and any thing else you can think of putting in your "headache diary". Sounds weird, I know, but the more you know about the what, when, why, where and how's of them, the more you can share with your Dr and the more he has to work with. I saw one neuro who said there is no such thing as a "normal" headache, or tension or cluster or anything else, all headaches were migraines. And supposedly barometric pressure affects migraines. You need to get a second opinion on your cyst as you would with any other very important health issue and start reading up on them more - there is a lot of information out there about them and a surprising amount of people, like us, who have or have had them. I would be happy to share info with you if you would like more. Hope you are feeling better soon!
USMCmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote