View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

My whole life, I have made an effort to remain "portable" by eliminating my excess stuff.

One of the hardest things I ever did was ditch my "memory box" that my mom started for each one of us. I found my compromise by taking photos of everything in it. Nowadays with digital cams, this is way, way easier! I managed to part with 90% of the contents and you know what? I never even look at those pictures because the memories are quite alive in my mind. If it ever slips away, the photos will be there.

My mom was a terrible packrat and for all you parents, if you love your kids, get rid of the junk! It took me 14 massive garage sales and 3 trips by the mission truck to unload only about 75% of her junk when she died.

Books are a small issue for me, I only keep hard covers that I'm certain I will read one more time.

If, like my mom, anyone saves magazines just to read one article "when you get around to it", please cut out the article and pitch the rest! Those things weigh a ton and take up too much space!

Monkey Woman is quite right, women's resource centers are always in need of usable items and don't forget that most of those women had lives just like yours— kids who need clothes, toys and books, pets, kitchens, dust in their surroundings, dishes, entertainment items, TOOLS, family games, pens and pencils, telephones, decks of cards, greeting cards, office supplies, sewing equipment, shelf-liners... all of it!

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wiix (10-06-2008)