View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi all,
I went under general anaesthetic to have my wisdom teeth removed and the anaesthetic caused a crisis. I couldn't swallow, breathe, or anything. It was so scary. And although i had a few small symptoms previous to that surgery my symptoms became much worse after that. I have had a blood test as well since and I am pseudocholinesterease deficient, which apparently means I am intolerant to certain types of anaesthetic. The last time I was put under I needed twice the dosage of whatever reverses the effects to wake me.

I feel for anyone who is struggling with mestinon becuase it was such a lifeline for me in the early days! I've luckily never had any issues with it. The steriods are another matter. I've started to reduce my dose - now down to 50 mg every second day and I really thought my swelling had reduced. Then I went away this weekend and someone was taking photos. After the event they put the photos on a power point and showed them on a huge screen. Every photo of my face was like a slap- I still don't look like me and it was heartwrenching to look at this terrible image. Got me down so much! I am still feeling good though - so I need to be grateful for that!

Hope everyone is well! I'm thinking of you all.
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote