View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, a lot has happened for me over the last 6 weeks we've been apart!! As you may or may not remember I'm in a nursing/rehab type facility and I have a goal of going into independent living adventually. I copied and pasted this from another site I post on, anyway here it is.

You all know I'm adventually going to go into independent living and get my own apartment. While in the process of doing all of this I had applied for Section 8 housing. I got a letter the other day stating that I was at least a year or 2 before recieving my section 8 certificate, I thought, oh man a year or 2. I could move into an apartment before getting the certificate but I'd have to pay full rent until then, after that I'll only be paying 30% no matter where I go.

I can't wait that long, I'll go crazy here until then!! Well, I have a friend who used to work here then quit. She has a goal, she wants to renovate her house and move in people with disabilities like myself who wants to adventually get a place of thier own, sort of like a transitional process so those people could get used to being out of the nursing home situation before going completely on thier own! UCP would be involved with the services we would need just as if we were on our own. We would have attendants coming into my friend's home to care for us just as if we were in our own place.

We would have a training process like getting public transportation, starting a checking account at a bank, going grocery shopping and so on....I truly believe this will be a positive move and I will have my friend help me get used to different stuff! We will have a contract with her and we will pay her rent just as if we were in our own place.

She's already thought of her personal time with her own family and at those times I will respect them and stay in my room or go away somewhere. But then at the same time she wants us to feel welcomed in her home as well because basically it will be my home as well until I move on.

The estimate time for me moving in would probably be late October-early November til she gets everything in order and gets what I need as far as adaptive eqiptment and bars in her bathroom and meets ADA requirements.

So, I'm really excited, maybe a bit nervous but I know it all will work out at the end! Please keep me in your thoughts and Prayers over the next couple of months!

Thanks,

Robin