View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb how old?

How old is she?

When I took our very elderly cat in to the vet in June, the vet watched her stare at the heat register under a chair. I had put her down so the vet could watch her walk.
This is what the vet's opinion was:
Based on Sheba's elevated heart rate, the vet thought she was developing cardiomyopathy. And because of this is getting less oxygen to the brain, and is acting "weird".
Well, I told her, we don't have heat registers, we have radiators, and Sheba probably thought it was a cat door, and was hoping to escape.

I have been told that cats that become vocal in the night, or more active may be developing hyperthyroidism.

My middle cat follows me around like glue now, asking for more and more food. I sort of pampered her when she had her tooth problem, and now I am stuck, with her begging for treats. This week she has moved off her spot next to my monitor and is trying to sit on my mouse hand...she also licks my fingers for attention. I know it is FOOD she wants. Plain old cat food has lost its allure!

I am convinced that cats are strange and sort of do odd things just because. Then I saw Dr. Amen on PBS and he said cats have NO prefrontal cortex compared to the 7% dogs have and the 11% chimps have. So planning and intent is rather low for them. They just do stuff for the moment.

I have noticed that cats get more affectionate with age.

Our youngest is terrified of storms/thunder and will stick to us like glue during any storm. Otherwise she is not much of a lap cat.

I'd wonder if one of you has sleep apnea? Perhaps your cat can sense your breathing changes? My oldest sleeps with us, and she sometimes wakes me up! Sometimes I wonder if she is really my lifeline?

The picture on your post of Puddin is cute. She looks wise.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (10-08-2008), suzyqz_2007 (10-07-2008)