View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 PM
artist

artist

Hey thanks for worrying about me, both of you!

Yup, I'm fine, fine, fine. The geography is difficult, I know, but for a start HK is about 2,000 miles from this earthquake/tsunami centre and we're just not in a zone or landplate that's affected by them - unless it's really massive, but results here would be minimal, maybe get some high tides and general bad weather.

That region in Japan is famous for it, because it's the start of the Aleutian Islands, part of the "Ring of Fire", which stretches from N. Japan (Japan is pretty much off the Russian coast), follows the Russian coast northeast, then leaps over to Alaska and down the US side - gotta remember that Russia and Alaska are only 55 miles apart, so the Pacific in this northern region isn't as wide as we imagine, at all.

Anyway, here:
"The majority of volcanoes and earthquakes occur along boundaries of the dozen or so major plates that more or less float on the surface of Earth. One of the most active plate boundaries where earthquakes and eruptions are frequent, for example, is around the massive Pacific Plate commonly referred to as the Pacific Ring of Fire. It fuels shaking and baking from Japan to Alaska to South America."

I've attached coupla maps, which make it clear as mud - but on the world map I've marked the quake in red, me in pink (of course, darlings!...)

As you see, I'm safely tucked away on the edge of the South China Sea. Summer brings typhoons, but that's about it here, pretty safe in comparison. (Touch wood, touch wood...)

How sweet you all are! I woke up in the night for a glass of water, here I still am, 6a.m, back to bed I go...if I can..

So here endeth the geography lesson

Thanks again, xx all the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan_map203.jpg (17.9 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg worldmap.jpg (14.2 KB, 368 views)

Last edited by artist; 11-17-2006 at 06:46 AM. Reason: fiddling around...
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote