Thread: Arachnoiditis
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 05:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlboyer View Post
Hi, I'm new to this, but I've been experiencing back and leg problems that lead me to believe I may have Arachnoiditis...
I have just joined. I have a condition that produces similar symptoms to arachnoiditis: poor control over legs & reduced mobility, intense neuropathic pain in my legs and, before an operation two years ago, bowel problems.

There does seem to be a weight of opinion behind a cause of arachnoiditis being medical interventions. I had three interventions in a relatively short period in the 1980s: an epidural injection (to relieve pain of a kidney stone, you don't have to be female!); a myelogram, to investigate back problems; and a steroid injection to relieve said problems (it didn't). A lot of questions have been raised about myelograms.

In the 1990s I developed neuropathic pain (think widespread jangling, stinging, burning) in legs and was diagnosed, after a nerve conductivity test, as having "root nerve damage".

The operation, for spinal decompression, was carried out in 2006 when the condition suddenly took a turn for the worse, but the op relieved only the bowel problems. Since then I have tried most if not all the drugs said to be effective for neuropathic pain, to no avail. The only diagnosis I have managed to wring out of the profession is myelomalacia - softening of the spinal cord. Some sources say that myelomalacia is associated with arachnoiditis (try using the two as a search term).

Stopping treatment has had a positive psychological effect on me - I no longer look for what others can do to help - they admit they have no further treatments - but look for answers in myself, my attitudes and behaviour.

Hope this helps a little.
Colin Street is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote