View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb this reminds me of the PANDAs issue.

When some people as children are infected with Strep, they make antibodies to the bacteria which when the infection is over, then attack the brain (it is thought there is a genetic sequence on the antibody that resembles something in a brain structure) which then malfunctions and gives TOURETTE'S. (this is similar in mechanism to thoughts on how Type I diabetes occurs...that autoimmune complexes to Bovine insulin in milk products induces reactions to human islet cells--Type I often occurs after a triggering infection).

What is Tourette's? A MOVEMENT disorder.
And typically the treatment involves long term use of a pencillin derivative to keep the Strep at bay (we all have bacteria in us, which are in low level amounts, that our immune system is successfully dealing with). So these kids take Penicillin VK or Amoxicillin or if allergic cephalexin.

So if an antibiotic works, it may be MORE than affecting inflammatory cytokines, it might be a form of ADULT Tourette's? It is something to think about.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote