View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 03:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess18 View Post
I want to know what to expect with the meds I am on . i am on Neurontin, 1500mg, and lexapro 10mg, and for breakthrough pain at times, hydrocodone 10mg. ( this is not every day). I have burning nerve pain. today is not a good pain day. I may go up to 1800mg of Nuerontin, but I have only been on it for a month. How long do you give your "main drug" time to work before switching meds?
Are you "pain free" or is the pain just lessened with the drugs and you are able to function with the drugs? I just want to know what my expectations should be? Should I expect to be pain free with the medicinal cocktail or just less pain?

thank you

Jess - I have titrated up to 1200 mgs of gabapentin (neurontin) every 6 hrs. I also take 25 mgs of amytriptylene at bedtime. And tramadal for breakthrough pain. I have had PN since early June and probably got started on these meds about late June. I did not feel immediate relief. It took a few weeks to see improvement in the burning. As you said, you may need to talk to your doc to see about an increase. I surely did not hesitate to call my doc and explain that I was not getting relief. Are you taking any of the supplements that are discussed? I have noticed a great deal of relief from those but please talk to your doc about those as well.

As far as pain free, most morning I have no pain and it increases in the evening and night time. In fact I had no symptoms at all for about a week and told my husband I thought I was getting well. I had a flare up the next day that lasted a week!! But I guess the best answer is that even on the good days/times I can always feel "something" and know that it is there. right now I feel a "stick" in the palm of my hand and my left ankle is burning a bit but it is not uncomfortable, I just know it's there. I put on a lidoderm patch and will get some relief soon.

I may have overlooked this. Have you gotten any tests done to aid in determining what type of neuropathy you have? Are they testing to see if they can determine what has caused the PN?
Leslie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote