View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 09:01 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes, very sticky issue. But, again, I believe that there are solutions. People have to be able to communicate their feelings. And some people find that to be very hard. Things do get complicated. When someone makes a decision to end their life they may not communicate it simply because they do not want to be talked out of it. And they know that is what people who love them will do. It is very difficult to tell a loved one that you have made a decision like that. It is taboo, and it is illegal. I don't like the idea of suicide, not even physician assisted suicide. I like the idea of the 'caring angle.' I have seen this done with people dying of cancer in the hospital. But, as David pointed out, there will always be those who will take advantage of it. There will never be any perfect solution. There are so many different opinions about the meaning of life and death. Compassion and empathy are essential to finding solutions. I also like the idea of unfeinged love, very hard to come by. As humans, we tend to be very self-focused on our own feelings, our own pains, and our own hurts. Being able to think 'outside' of that, well, it takes a lot of work on ourselves and the ingredients listed above. And a lot of life experience....

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
Thoreau

~ You can give without loving, but you cannot love
without giving. ~
mistiis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barbo (04-01-2009)