View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 10:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Living with a winged scapula

I have recently been diagnosed with a winged scapula that appears to be an old injury that is not treatable. It was missed for years by various GPs, Orthopedics, and PTs dispite complaints of shoulder, neck and back pain. The cycle started this time when i lost strength in my left arm and an MRI found severe compression on the left to the C5-6 nerves in my neck. The first doctors missed the winging on the right when focusing on the problems on my left side. The PT picked up on the winging on the right and the diagnosis has been confirmed by a neurologist and neurosurgeon. My conclusion is that a strong regimen of weightlifting, cycling and other sports over a 20 year period with the undiagnosised winged scapula has led to my current problems.

I have accepted that not a lot can be done about the wing scapula on my right. I am looking for more information on living an active lifestyle with this condition without the constant tightness and soreness I have suffered most of my life. I also now that to contend with the compressed nerves on my left and narrow of the spine channel.

The information I have found on the web so far has been about diagnosis and treatment not living with the condition when it is not treatable. Would appreciate any
information anybody has to offer or to discuss living with it with other active people.
karungguni is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote