Thread: Swallowing
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
I 've been scoped and bariumed this week. This morning I had barium water, barium milkshake, barium pudding, cookies dipped in barium. So far so goodg principles and the digestion of. Scope showed gastric polyps which I was told are very common. One sent off for biopsy. Swallowing test shows nothing, esophagus does not need to be stretched - normal size.

And yet I can't eat bread or meat or sometimes cake, without it getting stuck in my throat. I often have to stand up to get it down. One more P thing that doesn't show up in any visible form on tests. So all we can do is be careful.....nervously reassuring, but resulting in much weight loss.

careful out there, and it would be helpful if we had been granted 3 sets of teeth!

paula
the same thing happens to me sometimes when earting. i think it has to do with food combining principles to do w/ protein and carbohydrate digestion...so i try to eat carbs 1st, then protein. if i eat the protein 1st, the carbs won't go down. and i am fighting to keep weight on. too. 100 lbs clothed! i think the stuck in throat sensation is kind of a gag reflex - from the stomach saying it can't digest that now. usually after i wait awhile i can get it down. as i recall once protein digestion begins, there is an enzymatic slow-down for carbs....but speaking of enzymes, supplements can be helpful here. if you find this useful, let me know. it's only a half-educated guess. time to go eat something!

ibby
Ibken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lou_lou (10-11-2008)