View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I can honestly say that growing up my parents were well off financially but us girls never got anything handed to us.

There were three of us and we each had to save and buy our own first car. My Dad explained to us how to manage our money and my parents did provide a roof over our heads and food but once we had a job (which I did at 16) we paid for our own personal items that we wanted (toiletries and makeup, clothes, etc.).

At the time I didn't think too much of it...it was just the way we did things. I did see friends get new cars at graduation and birthdays and felt envious of them. But...in the long run I appreciate the lesson my parents were trying to teach us.

I can vividly remember once when I was 18 and had a car payment due. I didn't have the total amount (it was something like $97!!) and asked my Dad if he would pay it for me. He asked why I didn't have the money. I was honest and told him I had spent too much on "stuff" (probably clothes and makeup). He went with me to the bank and I got an extension on my payment where I only had to pay the interest and the principal was tacked onto the end of the term. I can remember thinking "why don't you just pay it for me" because I knew he had it....but the lesson that taught me was engrained in my mind forever. I never wanted to have to do that again. And never did.

I wound up being my Dad's primary caregiver during the last four years of his life. And all the money that he scrimped and saved and invested was used for his care. I'm not sure what we would have done had he not been so careful all his life with his money.

He taught me the value of a dollar. And today.....I can squeeze more out of a dollar than I ever thought I could! He would have been so proud of me and my frugal lifestyle!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FranksAngel (10-11-2008), JessieSue (10-11-2008), Riverwild (10-11-2008), SandyC (10-11-2008), Wiix (10-11-2008)