View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 12:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi All!!

I was reading my local newspaper and of course all the articles were about what is going on with today's economy and how the government MIGHT generate funds.

One reporter wrote "The government can fix the problem by LOWERING OUR SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS, OR.... by raising the age of people who qualify for Social Security.

Do any of you think that the government might REDUCE our monthly social security?? Can they do this? Now I know this is a stupid question, and I know the government can do any darn thing they wish to do.

But reduce a person's fixed income. Holy Cow. People can't make it as it is.

If my landlord's property taxes get raised, they will have to raise all the tenants. I've been very fortunate. They haven't done this in QUITE while, but if they are raised, then they have to pass this along to the tenants. I completely understand this.

But when you think about it, every January, we get some little raise in our monthly benefits. The medicare (well they take more money out of that), more money out of everything.

but to think that come January, when we expect some dinky little RAISE, and then to discover we might actually be getting less money....well, it does make a mind get a bit nervous.

Do any of you think the government might actually do this??

I'd appreciate all opinions.

Mel

One candidate will, and one will not.

I voted for the one who will not reduce your benefits (and the benefits of military personnel....which is mind-boggling based on his history).

-Vic
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FranksAngel (10-11-2008), JessieSue (10-13-2008), TwoKidsTwoCats (10-12-2008)