View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Great idea, River. I am on such a tight budget now (self-imposed) that I'm amazed at how little I can get by on.

I have constructed a budget and only take out a certain amount of cash each month. That is what I use if I need something at the store or pharmacy. It keeps me from buying "impulse" items and makes me think twice before buying anything.

I have a large container in the freezer and whenever there is just a little of something left over (veggies or rice or even meat) I throw it in that container. Eventually I will have enough to make a pot of homemade vegetable soup. We can eat for a week off of that!

I have put a kitchen timer in the boys bathroom. Advised them to set it for 5 minutes when they start their shower and not to stay in for longer than that. I swear, Kevin can stand in the shower for 20 minutes or more....I don't even take that long and I have more maintenance to keep up with than he does!!

I'm sure I'll have more tips to share! Thanks for starting this thread...I always get so many good suggestions from the folks here.

P.S. Even if I did buy a Starbucks coffee I couldn't enjoy it....I'd be thinking of how many cups of coffee I could make myself out of that $5!!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-15-2009), ewizabeth (10-11-2008), FranksAngel (10-11-2008), Girlie Girl (10-13-2008), Ivy2 (10-18-2008), Riverwild (10-11-2008), TwoKidsTwoCats (10-12-2008), Vonn07 (10-11-2008), who moi (10-16-2008)