View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 11:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default simple....

hi Paula--yes that was supposed to be funny--but true about the pig's feet and hog's head cheese (though i do not think it is really a hog's head).

I recently read a profile of a guy who has spent his life researching tribal secret remedies and has had a couple of them put into clinical trials. i remember one of the substances--roots of trees, bark of trees or some indigenous plant--being studied by a major research institution and put into a clinical trial for cancer therapy. and i know tamoxifen -long term therapy to prevent cancer reoccurance in estrogen positive breast cancers (though has recently been supplanted by a new drug) comes from the bark of a tree in south america. and digoxin, an old standby cardiac drug is made from the beautiful foxglove.
I wish i had paid attention to my grandmothers' old remedies; I am certain some of them were effective. and with all my jesting, I am going to ask my mother if she remembers anything about chicken feet being used as medical remedies. I do remember chicken feet are used in voodoo rituals (I attended college in New Orleans)--or maybe that's in the movies.
and who knows what will be found to be curative in PD--coffee and dextromothorphan are thought to be adenosine A2a receptor inhibitors and thus helpful in PD, and not to forget curcumin which Rod Hutton has been reporting on (recently with reverett) for quite some time now.
madelyn
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote