View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Anne, I feel so bad for you! I know you would have been to the party if you could have. Sounds like you are being punished.

When my son got married 3 years ago, it was obvious my DIL did not care for me. It was so hard to think my son could love someone who didn't love ME! I tippy-toed around for quite awhile, wondering what I had said/did that offended her. She liked my husband a LOT, though. They could talk and talk w/o any problems.

Mystified, I over-analyzed everything I said and did while in her presence. I decided I had no choice but to love her. So I did my best not to tread on her toes.

The turning point began several months later when I drove to her house to apologize for something that could have been taken in a different manner than I had intended it. It totally caught her off-guard (she hadn't been offended). I apologized and said how sorry I was. It was late, so I gave her a quick hug and left.

Things begin turning around after that. I think she no longer perceived me as a threat.

Still, when the baby came, it wasn't easy to spend "alone" time with her. It was like I was the competition.

I think it's over now. We can talk and laugh and understand each other.

It took a lot of prayer and patience.

My dear next door neighbor went through a similar struggle with her DIL. The DIL would never offer to "share" the kids with their Grandma.

But now they are old enough to demand it, and I see them visiting from time to time.

Please be patient, Anne. I know you need that bright little spot of sunshine in your life. William is such an adorable little guy!

I know you're hurt, but don't be anxious to move away. Just keep trying to appeal to those exasperating adult children. Maybe you'll get lucky and she'll need you for a babysitter. (Happened to me!) Isn't your DH going to get a Lorakeet? That might be a good icebreaker. Cookies are good. "Impulse" items bought while shopping could help. Who can resist a bright bag of goodies that someone left hanging on their door?

I wouldn't confront them about it. Just keep trying, Anne. Keep smiling (at least on the outside). They can't resist you forever, esp. if you keep showing them love! Little William needs his grandparents. And I know you need him.

There's nothing in the world like a hug from your grandchild. Prayer and patience is my recommendation. And lots of love. The wait is worth it. and one more for good measure:

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (10-15-2008), Blessings2You (10-13-2008), FranksAngel (10-13-2008), Koala77 (10-13-2008), SallyC (10-13-2008)