View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Annie,

So sorry you're dealing with this "lovely" problem, but kind of glad you've brought up this subject. Even though it's such a common problem in MS, it's still embarrassing to talk about -- whether you "can" or "can't".

Of course there can be other reasons for incontinence, MS can be the culprit. Over the past couple years, my urgency has become a real problem. I'm past the pad stage and into "Depend's" which at night still aren't enough. It takes me about 1/2 hour to get out of bed, so there's no sense trying to get to the bathroom. Those mattress pad thingys that tuck in on each side save the rest of the bedding! But it sure isn't enjoyable getting up just about every day all wet. YUCK! Guess the Lord had a good reason for me not marrying again after my divorce 18 years ago! The thing you mentioned with not knowing you have to go is true with me also. By that time, it's too late. Being in this "chair", by the time I stand up, shuffle my feet enough to turn around hanging on for dear life -- too late. Thank heaven for washing machines!! Personally, I can no longer do the kegel (sp?) exercises since I can't move those muscles. One of these neuro visits I have to speak with him about the nightly stuff. Where does it all come from? Heard something about nocturnal urination?? When I have to go, if it starts, I'm sunk when I stand up. The flood-gates open!!

Yes, I've tried different meds, Enablex worked at first but then stopped, take oxybutynin but it doesn't do much either. The LDN does help somewhat. On the days when I have coffee or tea, forget it. Wonder if that herbal tea your doctor recommended would have the same effect? And yes, a diuretic does make the situation worse. My ankles/feet swell but the neuro says it's lymph due to immobility. The Detrol isn't covered by my insurance and it's very expensive. I'd like to try one of the others, but my dr. says they're all about the same. So far at least, I've never had to cath or had the usual bowel problem. If anything, it tends to go the other way -- HURRY -- HURRY!!!

Don't you find the "simple" task of pulling your pants back up is the hardest thing to do since we have to hold on all the time? I tend to fall backward. Wherever this disease came from, I wish they'd take it back!!!

Sorry I'm no help in finding a solution, but hopefully it will help knowing you're not alone. You sure helped me!!

Good luck..........

.....Judy
SPMS -- FIBROMYALGIA -- Ouch! and Ouch!
Judy2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote