View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have a walker and I do use it when I need to. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it, but then I don't have many family members who've actually seen me use it. Certainly not a sister who lives a long way from me, or a parent... who are both in Heaven.

If anything, I do get some strange looks sometimes, but I'm hoping they're out of compassion rather than pity.The looks don't worry me anymore, but I did feel self conscious at first.

Maybe you could explain to your family how tired you get when you're out, and that having the walker just gives you that chance to rest briefly so you can go on. I know I've used the seat when I've felt exhausted and sometimes that happens in a very short time when I'm out.

I don't use my walker very often because I'm still fairly mobile, but I do use my cane all the time. The walker I reserve for days when I seem to lack energy.

Good luck, but I daresay it's difficult for your mother who's older than you, to understand why you would need a walker when you "look so well"! She may also think that by resorting to the walker, you are giving in to the disease. Maybe it's something you should talk about with her.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FranksAngel (10-15-2008), Jappy (10-14-2008), JessieSue (10-14-2008), slskckjebw (10-14-2008)