View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi,

First of all Welcome to Neurotalk - I am sorry to hear about everything that you have and are currently going through .

I have RSD in my left leg and right arm, I developed it when I was 12 years old after an ankle sprain - I am now 13.

Since I have been diagnosed with RSD, I have had to have two seemingly "minor" procedures. The first procedure I had done was a nerve block and the second procedure was to have an ingrown toenail removed on my RSD foot. Unfortunately I suffered from complications from both of the Operations, when I had the nerve block, my PM Doctor injected directly into my leg which has RSD and I developed severe balance and co-ordination problems. It was only after I had the nerve block that my mum found an article on the internet stating that you should NEVER inject directly into an RSD limb unless you absolutely have to. From the block, I was left in a wheelchair for 13 months. I also developed complications from the Ingrown Toenail removal - the doctor that did the operation had to numb my big toe and unfortunately I developed really bad muscle spasms.

I don't want to scare you in any way, I just want to make you aware of what happened to me. I totally agree with Gymjunkie - I was always told that you shouldn't have an operation unless you absolutely have to have it done. I have read quite a few articles that state that when doing surgery on an RSD patient, it is good to use a nerve block to stop any complications and any additional pain, although please make sure your doctor DOESN'T inject directly into your RSD limb!!

I wish you the very best of luck with your upcoming surgery and hope that everything goes OK.

You are in my thoughts
Alison
Dew58 (06-15-2009), nikkio (06-16-2009)