View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Oh yeah!!!1

"I've had incidents of both 'post-prandial/reactive[?]' and 'fasting' hypo-g "

like I even know what the heck this means!!! See what I mean? I'm hopeless.

I do know what it is like to start going blind in the kitchen and shout out loud "Alan, my sugar is low, I'm going blind". I call it "winking out".

I have no idea where I came up with the term winking out but it fits what happens to me when my sugar goes to 60. It doesn't happen often, but it HAS happened. The first time,I had no idea why my vision started to change. My legs didn't shake (that's what happened to a friend of mine) and because I had no reference point, I never knew that my sugar was low.

I had forgotten to eat lunch one day and I saw pixels floating in front of my face and my vision was distorted and I said "Alan, alan, and he knew enough to pour me some orange juice. I was fine in two minutes flat.

It has only happened to me, maybe 3 times in all my diabetic life.

But I'm a smart enough cookie to know that I have to eat every few hours.

And oddly, I don't eat a stitch after 7 pm. Nothing, NADA, no snacks, nothing.

I asked the guys at Cornell, "is it okay that I don't eat after 7 p.m." and once they made sure that I never had any "low blood sugar episodes", they said "fine, whatever works for you".

I mean, (and this is a good question). Does it ever happen that I could "wink out", during my sleep mode and I wouldn't know it?

I just eat my dinner at 5 or 6 p.m., have my cup of decaf and sometimes I eat those 100 calorie things (I didn't have one last night), and then I'm good to go till the next morning. My sugar was 115 this morning. I am on 34 of the Lantus.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote