View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macophile View Post
I did look online at the glycemic food index and got some interesting info (who knew the watermelon would be high... good thing I don't like it!)

This might be a silly question, but how do you figure out the glycemic food index for say a packaged food? Like organic canned soup or something? Is there some kind of formula? And what about low-carb pasta, isn't that supposed to be better for people with diabetes/blood sugar issues?
I can tell you about the low-carb pasta thing.

I tried them ALL. The thing is YOU WON'T KNOW HOW IT AFFECTS YOU UNLESS YOU TRY IT. Buy some low-carb pasta. Use as directed. Eat a portion (I know it's stupid but people EAT THE WHOLE PLATE FULL), and that's not a portion. I believe a portion is one half cup of cooked pasta. At least that's what I do.

I cook the pasta, drain it, add some stir fried low-sodium teriyaki chicken and throw in some cooked zucchini, broccoli and asparagus.

sounds like a lot of food right? It's not.

It's a bowl full. but it's balanced. With the veggies filling out most of the bowl. The chicken is a piece of chicken the size of you fist. (That's the protein), the veggies are the fiber, and the pasta, well if you get the one with fiber, then it's the fiber, but if you get the plain old low-carb, then you just added only 5 grams of carbs to that bowl.

Toss in a splash of extra virgin olive oil, a dash of garlic, some salt and pepper to taste (not a lot of salt if you are on a low-salt diet), and you'll have the most delicious bowl of pasta, chicken and vegetables, you ever ate in your life.

I did this last night. And it wasn't the low carb pasta either.

I had made regular spaghetti for my husband, I had a bit left over, so I threw it in my chicken and veggies.

Made no impact on my sugar whatsoever. But then again, I'm a nut about everything else I eat.

So give it a try and see what happens.

melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote