Thread: Some Insight
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 02:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I really need to be more active on this board because it was such a comfort to me when I first hit my head.

Is your husband seeing a neurologist? If not- then I suggest that he make an appointment with one. I was fortunate to be assigned a wonderful neurologist while I was in the ER who has been following up with me for 16 months now. I've been seeing her every 90 days while we worked with this medication or that and now that my meds seem to be exactly right, I'll be seeing her every six months.

I was kind of angry with her in the beginning because she wouldn't authorize me time off work. My job is very challenging mentally and it caused me a LOT of frustration. I felt as if I'd lost at least 50 IQ points and this was a real blow to my ego. She told me that taking time off work was the worst thing I could do with a brain injury. My family and friends wanted me to get a different neurologist, but I really liked this one because she seemed very smart.

Fast forward to last Monday. I had my regular appt with her and I told her that I finally understood why it was so important that I continue working and pushing myself. She said that a lot of times after a brain injury- if someone just let's it all go (quits work), the brain quits working and won't ever get back to normal. It's as if it's thinking "Oh- I guess you don't need me anymore..." I feel relatively normal now unless I'm under a lot of stress. I'm on a regimen of drugs (klonopin, requip, seroquel) that keep my emotions 'level' and help alleviate the stress.

It took me a good year before I had lots of good days in a row and the bad days really frustrated me. Instead of being angry- I cried. I cried a LOT. My neurologist told me that it could take up to two years to be completely healed of the injury to my brain. If I'm not fully healed by then, then I'm pretty much stuck with it for life.

I'm hoping to be healed, but if this (being how I am today) is what I'm stuck with, it's livable. My symptoms only show up when I'm under a great deal of stress. I've made sure that people I work with and my family know this about me so they understand why I've suddenly gone daft.

I've learned that when I'm under stress, I regress. It used to frustrate me more than it does now because I can now see the pattern. I know it'll get better if I can resolve the current issue causing the stress. It's a good life lesson for me, frankly.

There are lots of folks who don't like to take drugs. I'm not one of them. I feel that the drugs I'm currently on have been a miracle to me. My husband is like your husband- won't take drugs and that frustrates the heck out of me. I want to sometimes tell him, either take the drugs the doctor suggests- or complain to someone else. But I keep my yapper shut about that.

Again, I highly suggest your husband see a neurologist. That way, he'll hear his prognosis from a professional and maybe will be more apt to take medications to help with his symptoms.

You're a good wife, doing all the research and trying to help him. I have been very fortunate to have a good supportive husband- and know how lucky I am.

I hope your husband gets the help he needs so you aren't living with all that pressure.

Hugs,
Lori

~ Groucho Marx

Last edited by RisibleGirl; 10-15-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Fixing some of my phrases- they didn't come out right!
RisibleGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote