View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 02:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tsunami watch was in effect for Hawaii.

Hi All,
Tsunami watch here in Hawaii started at about 1:30am. The effects of the tide actually started at about 7:30am and stopped at about 9:00am. The harbors were closed to all traffic and the police and life guards "tried" to keep everyone out of the water. But of course, we have some die hard surfers who thought it would be fun to surf during this event.

What I found silly was Civil Defense decided NOT to sound the alarm to alert the Islands of the upcoming emergency. Decided it would cause too much panic because they knew for sure the tsumami that was being generated was not huge and was not going to be devestating. So decided to warn by patrol instead. Was this smart? Who knows.

The ocean waters were interesting to say the least. The surges went on for a couple of hours. Swirling waters...in and out. Video is amazing. Only one person injured. A 70 year old tourist caught in the water when the water was receding and she hit the breakwall in Waikiki. I believe, the largest surge was 6 feet.

The fact of the matter is we had a 6 hour warning period, I believe. This is good. If in fact a tsunami is generated from an Earthquake from our area, we would only have basically a 25 minute warning, and it more than likely wouldn't be just 6 ft. surges as in this Japan Earthquake.

So...another lesson...another drill for our island.

We are still having aftershocks from our Earthquake of October 15th. 2 yesterday. Scary stuff.

Artist...Good Geography Lesson. I'm glad that you are typically out of harms way.
himomdp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote